Sunday, May 2, 2010

Art Night; Infrared Photography




For art night I plan on using a new technique called infared photography. Some examples of infrared photography can be seen above. Infrared photography is a way of capturing the "invisible light" that the naked eye cannot see. Usually when shooting this type of photography, one uses an expensive lense that allows the image to be captured with infrared light. Trees turn white and the sky turns black. What I will have to do (since like I said, infrared lenses are expensive,) is spend a lot of time on photoshop using tutorials I have found on the internet like the following; this, this, or this.

This technique gives the photograph an air of mystery, which is exactly what I am going for in my photo shoot. I will be using the ideas created by Disney, and picking a few of the Disney characters (mostly princesses plus Little Red Riding Hood) and killing each off one by one. Sounds creepy, but it will be so awesome. For example, Little Red Riding Hood would have died from rabies, and will be seen with her eyes closed (or open?) leaning against a tree (with some foam on her mouth?) I don't want the shoot to look too posed, with only hints are who the characters are (for example, Little Red Riding Hood won't have a red cape, but will instead have a red sweat shirt and hood and a basket.) I feel that by making the characters more modern, but by adding the effects of infrared photography, I will still get a magical feeling that is unrealistic. I plan to shoot this coming Wednesday (3/5) and this coming weekend (3/7-3/9.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee,
    This proposal looks interesting and quite challenging. I'm glad your photograph of Adam turned out so nicely - it will serve you well as a back-up image. When you start shooting for this proposal (Disney/infrared), don't be afraid to simplify your plan on the go.

    ReplyDelete