I am critiquing Hannah’s book entitled “Now Showing.” The book depicts a girl going to the movies.
The book is palm-sized and the cover is green with detailed drawings on it, and the faded letters on the front are “Etiquette,” the next line “Morton.” There are 12 images in the entire book and the pairings of paper are 1-3-3-1. The stitching is done with black string and is tight and correct. The pictures are black and white and have high contrast- there are a serious shade of white and black in each image, including some grey scale. The images have a mixture of still shots and motion shots, and each image is crisp and completely in focus. The emphasis is almost always on the female subject when she is in the frame.
My gut reaction to this book is that it is a very well put together piece. It makes me feel calm and almost like going to the movies is a regular action for the girl subject.
The book, as I said above, makes me feel like going to the movies is a regular action. The way the subject seems so at ease is essential to this feeling. She glances up casually at the name of the movie and, enraptured in the film, picks out handfuls of popcorn. She calmly considers snacks and opens the door in a relaxed way. I think Hannah might have been trying to show how technology has become so advanced that a girl can casually go to such a thing as a movie theatre.

Good observation about Hannah's binding choices, but overall this is not your strongest written work. Your in-class critique was strong, but this one seems rushed. I'm not sure I follow statements like this: "I think Hannah might have been trying to show how technology has become so advanced that a girl can casually go to such a thing as a movie theatre." Do you claim the depicted movie theatre as a beacon of new technology even though Hannah has carefully pointed to its retro look?
ReplyDelete