It's very difficult to find your own personal style, but once you've found it- once you've found what works for you, you want to keep doing it over and over again. Scott Schuman is a fashion photographer with his own blog where he frequently uploads pictures to display his talent (sound familiar? Yeah it does! Because that's what I'm doing!) Except Scott Schuman has already found his niche.
I was scrolling down his website looking at all his pictures and found myself growing bored. They were beautiful pictures, no doubt- the colors were unique and vibrant, and the models were certainly extraordinary, if not a little eccentric. But all the pictures seemed to have the same presentation- the same technical setup. Like I said, I found them stunning to look at, but after a while I began to grow bored- the site dulled.
For example, if one looks at the image on the right you might get a little bit starstruck. Not only is the model handsome, but he has a certain vibe that allows the picture to hold our attention for longer than a few moments. During these moments our eyes will wander and see the angelic light, the amazing background (especially the motor scooters and the way the dotted line on the road runs parallel with the ever growing smaller, intricately detailed, buildings behind the model.) The focus is obvi
ously on the model, and the background is slightly blurred- if I had to guess Schuman used a smaller aperature.Scrolling down a little farther I noticed the following format: model centered with a slightly blurred background. I selected the image to the left at random, now just trying to prove a point. Below are other point makers. Blurred background, model focused in the center. I feel like Schuman could change up his format a little bit.



Good, thoughtful post here. I especially appreciate your careful examination of Schuman's consistent technical decisions. Careful with your spelling of A-P-E-R-T-U-R-E!
ReplyDelete